Teaching about Revenge
38 “You have heard the law that says the punishment must match the injury: ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’ 39 But I say, do not resist an evil person! If someone slaps you on the right cheek, offer the other cheek also. 40 If you are sued in court and your shirt is taken from you, give your coat, too. 41 If a soldier demands that you carry his gear for a mile, carry it two miles. 42 Give to those who ask, and don’t turn away from those who want to borrow.
Teaching about Love for Enemies
Sound System:
Worship Leader: Scott
Scripture:
Praise Band:
Lead Guitar - Rob
Bass - Scott
Drums - Darren
Rhythm Guitar (acoustic or electric) - Emily
Keys - Mike
Aux 1 - Victoria (keys)
Bass - Scott
Drums - Darren
Rhythm Guitar (acoustic or electric) - Emily
Keys - Mike
Aux 1 - Victoria (keys)
Aux 2 -
Note: The auxiliary instruments may include any additional instruments. For example, percussion, keys, acoustic guitar, mandolin, etc.
Singers:
Singer 1 - Nikki
Singer 2 - Laura
Singer 3 - Brandi
Songs:
Song 1: Your Grace Is Enough G
Song 2: Your Love Oh Lord G
Song 3: Give Us Clean Hands G
Song 4: You Are My King (Amazing Love) G
Offertory: Mountaintop Em
NO DOXOLOGY THIS WEEK
Song 5: They'll Know We Are Christians
I'll be worship leader this week and will also play bass.
ReplyDeleteI might need to sit out on 2/23. I won't know until it gets closer.
ReplyDeleteRob, do you know if you're here this week?
DeleteI have a class that day and will be out this Sunday
ReplyDeleteI'm out! See ya next week 3/1.
ReplyDeleteIf Rob is out, I will do lead guitar and maybe Victoria could play bass?
ReplyDeleteI can sing
ReplyDeleteBethany is sitting out this week but Emily will play
ReplyDeleteill play keys
ReplyDeleteHere is the song list:
ReplyDeleteYour Grace Is Enough G
Your Love Oh Lord G
Give Us Clean Hands G
You Are My King (Amazing Love) G
Mountaintop Em
They'll Know We Are Christians
No Doxology this week
Also, if Rob is out, I will do lead guitar and hopefully Victoria can do bass
I can play whatever is needed, just let me know so I know what instrument to bring. If I am not needed on bass I will play keys in aux 1
ReplyDeleteI'm in! and looking forward to it!
ReplyDeleteJust wanted to share something with all of you:
ReplyDeleteI have really been feeling a tug on my heart about always asking the big question at the end of our service before the last song. The big question being "Is there anyone out there who does not know Jesus and wants to ask him to come into their heart and receive salvation?" If our purpose is to worship and get people to come to Christ through our music or sermon, then why are we just assuming they know what to do? Sometimes people don't know and are afraid to ask. It is such a simple process though. Everyone can bow their heads and close their eyes and someone can raise their hand we can pray with them and then when done we can all open our eyes. I believe this should be done EVERY Sunday. So that is what I would like to do THIS and EVERY Sunday moving forward. It doesn't matter to me who does it, let's just DO IT and add more souls to HIS kingdom!! Where would we all be if no one told us how to receive Christ into our heart?
There's no doubt that I will most likely be in the minority regarding this, but I would rather not do this every single Sunday and I'm not a big fan of this being done in a "group setting." My thoughts - anything that we do every Sunday becomes a routine and when it becomes a routine, I feel it becomes disingenuous. Also, I've always thought that reaching out to Jesus is very personal. You're building a relationship with Him. What we do each and every week is helping every single person in that room do that. God knows what is in their hearts, He knows what they think and how they feel, He knows if they are accepting Jesus. I think it's great for Pastor Alan or anyone to say we are open to speak with them, share with them, pray with them, I don't know if an invitation to accept Jesus every week is what they need. I will, of course, go with what our group would like to do. Just sharing my thoughts.
DeleteI think Laura has articulated with incredible clarity the reason that I would lean toward not doing this. At the same time I understand the reasoning behind doing it. I would just reiterate Laura's point about "when things become routine it can start to feel and in fact BE disingenuous - as if we are performing this intensely important task by wrote (sp?) and somehow robbing it of its incredible incredibleness.
DeleteFirst let me say that I am not attacking anything about what we are doing or anyone. I don't want a repeat of years past. I am just trying to add something new. I see what you are saying and understand your views. Every one is entitled to their own opinions. Isn't the doxology a routine? I feel that it has also become disingenuous. That is why I chose not to do it this week. I just see it as we are running out of time and someone could walk out that door and get into an accident or just drop over and if they never had a chance to accept Jesus into their heart then they would miss out. Your life can change in an instant. I've been there and because I knew him I never put a gun to my head. I am sorry if I am coming off strong on this but this is something I am passionate about and I been feeling for some time. My eyes have been opened and I am finally awake and I would like to help everyone else wake up too : ) Maybe we don't need to do this every Sunday, but let's try to do more of it.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Scott. I didn't think you were attacking anyone. I like that we can discuss all these thins. I also agree that the Doxology became a routine, which is why I didn't include it a couple weeks ago either.
DeleteDoing more of it sounds good to me! Doing it all of the time would be something that we could see if we grow into...
ReplyDeleteSounds good.
DeletePlease hear me when I say that I don't disagree with the idea. I have some reservations but that may not be important in the big scheme and if we go this way by God's leading I am all for it.
ReplyDeleteI hope my reply didn't seem too negative - it wasn't meant to - the thing I was most struck by was NOT that I disagreed with the idea - but with how well Laura articulated my particular doubts about it. I knew there was something nagging me about it in the negative direction but I couldn't articulate it. When I read her reply I was like THAT'S IT!
I feel bad that I feel like my reply was not clear enough - and it may have come off like I disagreed and was attempting to "shoot the idea down." I am not. I have some reservations about it - but I am not against it.
Just trying to make my position clear - hopefully.
Communicating by email and discussion board can be difficult.
I am glad we can discuss things like this. I think it helps us grow as a group. I do feel the need after this discussion to take a step back and sit out for a few weeks. This has opened up something inside of me that I need to work out. I consider it a long vacation. Which is not a bad thing. I will be there on Sundays, but I think I have been grinding it out so much that I need to take a long break and focus on what it's all about and the reasons for why we do it. I've lost my way so to speak and I need to find it again. This has been something that I have been feeling for a while. I believe that now is the perfect time to do it with March being the start of the craziness here at work. The scriptures tell us that Jesus also went away at times to fast and to pray and gain strength and if he did it, then I need to do it as well. But for now, let's focus on Sunday and let God to His thing!
ReplyDeleteWanted to say that I thought the way Scott did this "call" in our service on Sunday was beautiful. As Scott said the words he said, I was reminded that our worship is not an end unto itself. Maybe it is in heaven. But on earth our worship opens doors for those who need to join the family of God and follow Christ - there is work to be done - there is a harvest of souls - and Jesus has left us with the tools to bring in the harvest - an enormous responsibility - I think in the end analysis we have answered our responsibility more fully as we very specifically reach out and ask for people to accept God's forgiveness in Christ right there - it is not only an invitation to a lost soul, it is a reminder to us disciples that the door is open and we've been given a job to help people come through it. As we did it on Sunday, I was most certainly moved. Thanks Scott, for stepping out in faith.
DeleteDon't thank me. Thank Jesus. I am glad it worked out the way it did. If we continue to open ourselves up and let the Holy Spirit move, I am confident that we will see great things happen to people. Thanks to all of you who were there to help create that moment. Let us continue to work together and create many more.
DeleteI also agree that it is a wonderful thing to do, but not every Sunday. Some may feel they HAVE to do it. What about once a month? That may be a good idea. Most new people who come seem to come back and we have so many who are regular.
ReplyDeleteI wanted chime in here. I feel that the altar call is something that is done when we are led to do it. Sometimes it is out of the blue and sometimes the sermon will scream for it to be done. I know we don't have them often but I do know that when we have them God has blessed that time. I think all of us need to have our hearts in tune with the Spirit because the Spirit knows the needs that are in the hearts of the congregation.If anyone of you feel led to have an altar call please speak up during the service because God wants to speak through you. Keep up the good work!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pastor Alan. I think this exactly what we all need to do and we, as well as the congregation, will be truly blessed. I think everything worked out so well this past Sunday and it is AWESOME when that happens.
Delete